Friday, May 18, 2007

My HR Experience

Today is not the first time I've ever been in Holt Renfrew, but it is the first time I went any further than the cosmetics counter. When I worked in the area, I would occasionally pop in to check out American make-up lines that were available exclusively at HR (this was pre-Sephora in Canada). Both the sales people and other customers were quite intimidating so I never ventured into any other department.
But today I went upstairs to women's wear, then upstairs again to customer service then all the way downstairs to the men's department. I was with a colleague of mine who shops there regularly and he bought a gift for a friend and had it wrapped. The second floor is like something out of a sci-fi movie. Everything is white, silver, modern, and clean-lined. I was so awed by the "decor" that I almost didn't notice the racks of designer clothing. The type of clothing that is so beautiful you want to touch it but when you glimpse a price tag you immediately pull your hand back because you don't want to damage the item and then have to pay for it.
The next level up is customer service. Once again, white, clean-lined and modern looking with plush seating, a service desk and the gift wrap counter. Behind the gift wrap counter are dozens of cubby holes (white) with the signature hot pink Holt Renfrew shopping bags all neatly lined up in them. All the bags are clearly labelled with the names of the people who are coming back to pick them up. In the very downstairs we visited the men's department. Not half as intimidating as the women's department as we only went through the casual clothing section.
Another impressive thing is the number of sales people. Everywhere you turn there is someone there with a smile and a uniform on ready to help you. I guess people who shop in high-end places expect to never have to go looking for a sales person. I on the other hand, prefer to be allowed to browse and select my Balmshell lipgloss on my own. (my one purchase I've ever made at Holt's).